6th Grade Science (Students) » Science Units » Astronomy » Life in Space
||Life in Space
The International Space Station
THE ISS FACTS:
At night, about 85 to 90 percent of the world’s population can see the International Space Station . As it passes overhead, it looks like a bright, slowly moving star. It takes 3 to 4 minutes to cross the sky, traveling west to east.
Click on your assigned group. Research the questions and write your answers in your science notebook. From the answers you find, create a PowerPoint, Movie, Song, or Poster that will be shared with the class.
Group 1: Food
Eating in Space
How Space Food Works
Living in Space - Food
Space Food History- http://www.pbs.org/spacestation/station/living_eating.htm
Eat In Space- http://science.howstuffworks.com/astronauts-eat-in-space.htm
What Food Do Astronauts Eat- http://www.wisegeek.com/what-foods-do-astronauts-eat-in-space.htm
Space Station Kids
Group 2: Space Suits
- What are the main parts of a space suit? How do they work?
- Do astronauts have to wear the space suits all the time? Why or why not?
- What are some safety measures that are built into space suits?
- Do you think space suits are comfortable? Why or why not?
- Provide a list of 5 essential items that a spacesuit must have.
- What are 4 things you would face if you were to step outside a spacecraft without a spacesuit?
The Space Suit (history)
How Space Suits Work
Space Suit History w/ Pictures- http://science.howstuffworks.com/space-suit2.htm
Cost of Space Suits- http://science.howstuffworks.com/question544.htm
The Workings of a Suit- http://science.howstuffworks.com/space-suit.htm
Why Wear A Space Suit- http://www.pbs.org/spacestation/station/living_spacesuit.htm
The Space Suit Facts - http://www.factmonster.com/ipka/A0875382.html
History of the Suit- http://www.fi.edu/pieces/hiley/history.htm
Group 3: Experiments and Toys in Space
- What is the purpose of the ISS?
- What are some examples of experiments that are conducted on the ISS?
- What do scientists hope to learn about life in space?
- How do scientists conduct controlled experiments in space?
- Name two findings that have emerged from experiments done in space.
- List the 6 types of research that will or is being conducted on the ISS.
- How do toys react in space compared to Earth?
ISS Research- http://science.howstuffworks.com/space-station5.htm
Current ISS Experiments- http://www.nasa.gov/missions/current/index.html
Launch Schedule- www.nasa.gov/missions/highlights/schedule.html
What Do They Do?- http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=669
Toys in Space
Animals in Space
Group 4: Sanitation in Space
- How do astronauts shower and use the bathroom in space?
- Do they have to wash dishes or laundry?
- How do they keep their living quarters clean?
- What special sanitation issues do astronauts face that those of us on Earth don’t worry about?
- How do they clean their plates and eating utencils in space?
- What is done with the dirty clothes from astronauts? How often are you allowed to change clothes in space?
- Since you are in space, do astronauts have to worry about germs? Explain.
Baths In Space- http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=538
Germs In Space- www.pbs.org/spacestation/station/living_sanitation.htm
Space Wear- http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/living/spacewear/index.html
Space Station Kids
Group 5: Sleep and Relaxation
- Do astronauts require more or less sleep than normal when they are in space?
- How long each day are astronauts required to exercise?
- How many hours of sleep do astronauts usually get each night?
- How do astronauts relax in space?
- Do astronauts sleep in a bed? If they do not, how do they sleep?
Recreation and Sleeping
Astronaut Sleep- http://www.spacetoday.org/SpcShtls/AstronautsSleep.html
Recreation and Sleeping- http://www.pbs.org/spacestation/station/living_sleeping.htm
ISS Sleep- http://ask.yahoo.com/20010830.html
Space Fun- http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/living/spacefun/index.html
Space Sleep- http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/living/spacesleep/index.html
Space Station Kids
Group 6: International Space Station
- Research the history of space stations
- What is the International Space Station?
- What is the purpose for designing the International Space Station?
- What are the different parts of the ISS?
- Who will man the ISS? Who are the International partners?
6th Grade Science - Mr. I
Bay Middle School
27725 Wolf Rd.
Bay Village, Ohio 44140