Unit Guides and Downloads » Seismology & Volcanology|
||Seismology & Volcanology
Seismology & Volcanology
Chapter: 8 & 9 Approximate Length: 3 Weeks
High School Earth Science Objectives
· E3.2b Explain how scientists infer that the Earth has internal layers with discernable properties using patterns of primary and secondary seismic wave arrivals.
· E3.4b Describe how the sizes of earthquakes and volcanoes are measured or characterized.
· E3.4c Describe the effects of earthquakes and volcanic eruptions on humans.
· E3.4f Explain why fences are offset after an earthquake using the elastic rebound theory.
· E3.3d Distinguish plate boundaries by the pattern of depth and magnitude of earthquakes.
· E3.4a Use the distribution of earthquakes and volcanoes to locate and determine the types of plate boundaries.
Chapter 8 & 9: Earthquakes & Volcanoes (194-239)
Deformation Richter Scale Earthquakes
Elastic Rebound Theory Seismology Shield
Surface Waves Composite Earthquakes
Fault Pressure (Trapped Gases) Magnitude
Volcanoes Divergent Seismic Waves
Transform Gap Hypothesis Seismograph
Tiltmeter Silica & Water Convergent
Volcanology *Moho/Shadow Zones *P-Waves
*Primary Waves *Secondary Waves *S-Waves
Terms to Learn & What You’ll Do (located at beginning of every section), Section review questions at the end of each section, Chapter Highlights at the end of each chapter, chapter review questions, study packet (collection of work and notes), design flash cards, quiz a partner.
NEED HELP DOWNLOADING:
8th Grade Earth & Space Science
Mason Middle School
235 Temple Street
Mason, MI 48854