What Is School Based Occupational and/or Physical Therapy?
· OT/PT is a federally mandated related service, identified in the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). It is available to those students in an Exceptional Student Education (ESE) program.
· Once student goals are established in the Individual Education Plan (IEP), the IEP team decides whether OT/PT support is required for student success.
· OT/PT services could be provided anywhere in the school setting.
· OT/PT services may occur by working directly with the student.
· Other OT/PT services may be more indirect, or "on behalf of the student". These may include setting up strategies, modifications or accommodations within the student’s environment.
· Consultation and/or collaboration with school staff and caregivers is another part of OT/PT school services.
· Areas addressed by OT may include: use of classroom tools and manipulatives, cutting, handwriting, assistive technology, self-help skills, organization, social skills, independent living skills, and sensory issues affecting education.
· Areas addressed by PT may include: independent living skills, safe mobility, access to equipment and supplies in educational environment.
· The OT/PT staff is also involved in Response to Intervention, the newest initiative that provides interventions to students prior to ESE placement.
Services tend to be discipline based Services are collaborative.
Focus is on developmental milestones Focus is on functional skills and
and components of movements. adaptations that promote
Few responsibilities are delegated More strategies and responsibilities
except to the parents. are taught and delegated to
teachers, aides, & others.
Clients come to the clinics to see The therapist may see the
the therapist. student anywhere in the school
Below are links for information about school-based Occupational Therapy.
NEW - School-Based OT vs Medical Model
OT/PT as a Related Service
The information presented in this web site is provided as a source for educational purposes only and should not be interpreted as a recommended program, or substitute for physician or therapist evaluation or treatment by a healthcare professional.
NEED HELP DOWNLOADING:
||pdf file: You need Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 7 or higher) to view this file. Download the free Adobe Acrobat Reader for PC or Macintosh.
Ms. Sue's OT Room
Lamarque Elementary School, Sarasota School District