English Language Arts (ELA) » Reading
Welcome to Mrs. Heaton's reading center. I love children's books and the library and hope to pass my love and enthusiasm on to your children as the year progresses! Below you will find some general reading information. If you need additional information please do not hesitate to contact me.
On the menu bar on top there is a "book list". This contains a list of children's books that I have read and recommended. I will add to the list throughout the year keeping in mind a mix of reading levels and genres. I encourage parents to review the list to ensure its appropriateness for their child and offer direction if needed. For more book recommendations I suggest checking out the ReadKiddoRead website. There you will find suggestions broken up by age and by category, from fantasy to action adventure, with synopsis for each.
Mossy Oaks Elementary is also a strong supporter of the Beaufort County Library and encourages all children and families to register for a library card and utilize services offered, from free computer access to reading programs and events.
Students will be reading and responding to a wide variety of material and authors in class from classics to new releases. They will maintain a reading notebooking and journal that will serve as a portfolio of their work for the year.
GENERAL STUDENT EXPECTATIONS
- Students are expected to read nightly as time and schedules allow (20-30 minutes is recommended)
- Students are expected to read within their ZPD range to encourage growth and development
- Students are expected to maintain the appropriate level of AR points per quarter as discussed with their teacher
- Students are expected to engage in all classroom reading activities
- Students are expected to utilize either the school or public library on a regular basis
- Students are expected to have reading material with them at all times
- Students are expected to treat all classroom and school reading materials with respect
(XLS 1.11 MB)
NEED HELP DOWNLOADING:
Click here to access the school's AR list. It is a large file so it may take a moment to appear. Follow the search directions at the top of the file to find a specific book. All books are listed in alphabetical order.
Mrs. Heaton's Website
Beaufort County School District
2510 Mossy Oaks Rd.
Beaufort, SC 29902